NBA All-Star Weekend is next month, and that means it’s time to start finalizing your weekend details. This is the one time of the year you get to see all the greatest basketball players on one court at the same time. The 2016 NBA All-Star Game will be played on Sunday, February 14, 2016, at Air Canada Centre in Toronto, home of the Toronto Raptors. The Raptors have brought a new era of excitement to the city after a recent playoff appearance lead by All-Star players Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozen. It’s only fitting that the NBA All-Star Weekend takes place in the country where the first ever NBA Game was played 70 years ago.
If you’re planning to attend this fun weekend, make sure you pack for the cold climate because you won’t want to miss any of these 10 things every basketball fan needs to do during the 2016 NBA All-Star Weekend in Toronto. If you’re an American citizen and want to see the beautiful city of Toronto during Valentine’s Day weekend 2016, you will have to have a U.S. passport. If you don’t have a passport it’s not too late but you must apply now, normal processing time for a first-time passport application is 4-6 weeks.
10 THINGS EVERY BASKETBALL FAN NEEDS TO DO DURING THE 2016 NBA ALL-STAR WEEKEND IN TORONTO
1. Centre Court – Formerly ‘Jam Session’, this 3-day event features non-stop basketball action where fans can shoot, compete against their friends in skills challenges, and collect FREE autographs from NBA and WNBA players and legends. This place is ideal for kids, young fans can hang out in the Kids Zone, with hoops and interactive activities that are the perfect size for kids’ slam dunks, three-pointers and jump shots. This event will take place Feb 12 – 14, 2014 at the Enercare Centre.
2. The NBA House – The NBA House is a one-stop shop for the all-around NBA experience. It is a fun place with many contests and games running throughout the weekend. Lucky fans get the opportunity to play video games against NBA stars, and get autographs from former NBA pros. This is the perfect place to run into your favourite NBA star.
3. State Farm All-Star Saturday Night. Saturday night might be the most fun night of the weekend. With the Taco Bell Skills Challenge – Six of the top guards compete for the title in a two-round timed “obstacle course” consisting of a series of passes, free throws, lay-ups and agility drills. The Foot Locker Three-Point Contest – Six of the best long-range shooters attempt to score the most three-pointers in a race against the clock. You can watch Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry defeated his title. And lastly, the Verizon Dunk Contest – Saturday night’s grand finale showcasing the NBA’s most athletic players as they creatively fly in the air, and there have been talks that Toronto’s own high flyer, Andrew Wiggins, will take part ( crossing fingers ). This event will take place Saturday, Feb 13, 2016, at Air Canada Centre.
4. NBA All-Star Practice – The NBA All-Star Players and Coaches from the Eastern and Western Conference hold the official All-Star Practice in front of their fans. This is your chance to get up close and personal with your favourite NBA All-Stars. See them in rare form dancing and singing as this practice is more fun and games than serious. This event will take place Saturday, Feb 13, 2016, at Ricoh Coliseum.
5. The Celebrity Game – Watch some of the hottest celebrities from film, TV and music, along with some of your favorite WNBA & NBA Legends take their skills to Center Court for a fun and entertaining basketball game! This event is pure entertainment, with the celeb game being Canada vs the U.S. this year I’m sure Drake will do all he can to beat Kevin Hart for the title. This event takes place Friday, Feb 12, 2016, at Ricoh Coliseum.
6. Rising Stars Challenge – Every year a number of college superstars get drafted into the NBA. Catch the league’s brightest young stars from the Rookie and Sophomore classes battle it out in an epic game played in two 20-minute halves with no foul outs! This event will take place Friday, Feb 12, 2016, at The Air Canada Centre.
7. NBA D-League All-Star Game – The game is not held in the same arena as all the other All-Star Saturday events. Instead, it is held on the NBA Jam Session’s practice court. In addition to the All-Star Game, the D-League also holds the D-League Dream Factory Friday Night, an event that is modeled after the NBA All-Star Saturday Night. This event will take place Saturday, Feb 13, 2016, at Ricoh Coliseum.
8. Shaq’s All Star Comedy Jam – Shaquille O’Neal’s All Star Comedy Jam is one of the best comedy brands today. You will laugh your butt off at this show and may just run into a few celebrities in attendance. This event will take place Friday, Feb 12, 2016, at The Sony Centre for the Performing Arts.
9. NBA All-Star Game – Watch NBA Stars face off in a battle of East vs. West. PLUS, an added bonus is seeing one of the greatest players of the all-time suit up for the last time at an All-Star Game – Kobe Bryant. Attend this marquee event in person or watch it from one of the best sports bars in Canada, Real Sports Bar. This event will take place Sunday, Feb 14, 2016, at The Air Canada Centre.
10. Real Sports Bar is a sports bar to end all other sports bars. Real Sports has a million TV’s ( exaggerating a little but they do have a lot ), not to mention the 2 story high HD TV above the bar. If you’re a sports fan this is a spot you need to visit, great atmosphere and good food. Reservations are a MUST! And while you’re waiting for your seat you can check out all the NBA apparel.
All-Star Weekend in Toronto is something I never thought would happen, but it’s here! It’s only right that we take in all the weekend has to offer. Share this post and get excited about NBA All-Star 2016 in Toronto.
Fun facts about Toronto.
Did I miss any? Comment below and let me know.
Keep up to date with my latest posts by following me!