The secret to a great Quick & Easy Healthy Lunch: Mason jar salad is all in the order you layer.
The build up:
- The dressing. This is a must! This guarantees that your salad ingredients don’t get soggy. I used Ranch in this salad, but use whatever dressing you prefer.
- Veggies ( outside of leafy greens ). I added grape tomatoes & corn.
- Beans. Beans are a great source of protein, I added black beans but you can add another type if you prefer.
- Fruit. If you enjoy fruit in your salads go ahead and add your favourites ( strawberries, blueberries, whatever you desire. ) I added mango, yum!
- Starch. I use brown rice in all my mason jar salads, but once again add your favourite.
- Cheese. Cut cheese in cubes, or you can use string cheese and just cut into circles.
- Protein. Anything big and chunky. I used shredded chicken with taco seasonings in this mason jar salad but you can use whatever protein you enjoy. Tuna, beef, chicken – prepare protein your favourite way and add.
- Nuts & Dried Fruit. Walnuts, cashews, cranberries, raisins, -the ingredients that you want to stay dry until just before you eat it.
- Leafy Greens. Add spinach, kale, mixed greens, whatever leafy greens you love, throw on top as they go in last.
Mason Jar Salads are great because they can stay in your fridge for up to 5 days! So make a few and store for the week. AND all you need is a plate and a fork. ENJOY!